Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rewind!

This morning I dropped John off at the airport for his last Savannah to Anchorage flight. (or at least the last one in the foreseeable future) The next time I see him, it will be in Alaska! With only one more week left of school, and "The Drive" getting closer and closer, I am getting excited. (OK, nervous too, but mostly excited) In my excitement, I was going through some of my old Alaska pictures and thought I'd share them with you. (These pics are from July 2009)


John's apartment is on the edge of Lake Hood, which is the world's busiest seaplane base (according to wikipedia). During the winter, some of the seaplanes hibernate, but other change out their floats for skis and continue to land on the frozen lake.

Someone asked me if it snowed year-round in Anchorage, and the answer is no. During the summer everything is very pretty and green. John certainly seems excited about the beautiful greenery.

I guess the snow on top of the mountains doesn't completely thaw in the summer.



I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post this picture.  The water was so beautifully clean and clear, it reminded me of something you'd see in Disney world. Of all the beautiful things I've seen in Alaska, I think the water is my favorite.


The gravel road in this picture goes through Hatcher's Pass. When I was up there before, we didn't have a chance to drive through the pass, so now it's one of the things on my growing "to do" list. It seems like Anchorage is surrounded by interesting places to see and things to do, and that's before you really start to explore. I can hardly wait for the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment